CMH logo


HISTORY

Community Memorial Hospital was originally a 29-bed acute care facility originating from dreams of the leaders in the community who had a vision of a health center built solely by contributions.  In 1942, the citizens of Sumner began to feel the need for some kind of health care center.  During this time, a local maternity nurse was still going into homes and caring for new mothers and babies when she was needed.  In 1944, her home was turned into a maternity care center, which she operated.  The community began fund raising to build a hospital and by May of 1947 enough money had been collected to formalize the plans.  Work began in May of 1948 and the governing board was formed under the by-laws of the Community Club Charter.  The opening date for the completed facility was January 1, 1950, with the State license granted on April 19, 1950.  Since our opening, there have been many expansions and building projects to continually improve and modernize the facility to provide quality care and have state of the art technology available to the people of Sumner and surrounding areas.  There have been many years of united effort aimed at the goal of adequate hospital facilities for the community.

On January 1, 2000, CMH became proud partners with Allen Memorial Hospital and a member of the Iowa Health System Community Network.  We are a participating hospital in Blue Cross Blue Shield and are certified for participation in the Federal Insurance Act of 1965 (Medicare).  CMH is licensed annually by the Iowa State Department of Health.

As of May 1, 2001, Community Memorial Hospital became a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital.  This designation improves governmental reimbursement while maintaining all hospital operations.

CMH has a professional and supportive staff of more than 85 employees who address all aspects of healthcare needs within the community.

 

 

 

   
Community Memorial Hospital | 909 West 1st Street | Sumner IA. 50674
Phone (563) 578-3275 | Fax (563)578-3279 | TTY Phone (563)578-2174 |